Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My Grandfather's Name was Warner Pridemore Quillen Jr.

His friends called him "Pete."
I have a cousin named Pete. This is why.

Until recently, I did not know my grandfather's name. I had heard it, and I knew it was strange and hard to remember, so I didn't.

I did not know my grandfather. I know he died before I was born. I know he died of lung cancer and I know he smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day. I know my grandmother, so I know why.

These are the things I know.

There could be more, but I never asked. Asking requires words - words I did not have (I was not born with my words I found them in my travels); requires talking, communicating, hearing, listening, face-to-face contact, and many more slippery things that elude my grandfather's clan.

To recap:
My grandfather is dead.
I did not know him.

But, finally, I did that thing I should have done long ago. I did that thing that all people with families should do - that all people who want to know their people should do. That thing that gives us a past and a perspective. That thing I never thought I could do:


I googled my grandfather.

Google knows my grandfather.

In fact, until recently, Google knew more about my grandfather than I did. But no longer. Now, I am moving forward/looking backward. Now, I am winning the war against technology.
Now, I know:

My grandfather's name was Warner Pridemore Quillen Jr.
But his friends called him "Pete."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you googled your gpa ...... you're my new hero.

TheVriter said...

Tonight I googled Grandpa, and I found your post. And it made me smile :~)

Barbara said...

We need to talk! I recently told one of your cousins all of the wonderful funny stories of our being raised with your Grandad. You will enjoy them also.